Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Conan O'Brien, poetry, and gay marriage

Well, since classes ended last week, I've had a bit more free time than usual, which has been nice. I took a few nice little walks. David went home on Monday, so I have the room to myself until I go home on Friday morning.

I had a take-home final for Great Poems due today, which was actually reasonably fun to complete, which is unusual for any test. I have two finals tomorrow, in QR and in German. I'm kind of worried about both of them, but I'm going to put a lot of time into them tonight to make sure I don't fail them or anything. I sort of wish they were earlier on in the week, so the lapse between when class ended and when the finals are would be a little smaller, but I'm sure I'll be fine.

On Monday, I went to a really great taping of Late Night with Conan O'Brien. It was an episode with Bonnie Hunt, Matthew Broderick, and John Mayer, and I like all of them at least to some extent. John Mayer was there with John Mayer Trio, and I'm not sure I like them quite as much as I like him as a solo artist. There was a really long wait to get in, as you have to be screened and sorted and all, but it was worth it. I never paid much attention to Conan O'Brien, so I didn't really know what to expect, but he is one of the funniest people I've ever seen. He's kind of like Jon Stewart. He has a way with his face that he can make just about anything seem funny.

This has been a pretty nice week. I probably should have done more studying than I have, but hopefully I'll be fine with the rest of my finals. Today, I'm walking to Penn Station to get my tickets to go home because of the MTA transit strike.

At our last meeting of Great Poems class we came up with the idea to start a poetry club, so some of the people in the class are getting together to make that happen. I really hope it becomes a real thing, as I'd love to go to a poetry club and to continue having the challenge of writing poems on a regular basis. Taking that class has made me think more about continuing to write poems. I really like poetry. It's fun.

Also! In England and Wales, today is the first day for legal same-sex unions, and Elton John and David Furnish are now legally married! It's absolutely great that the wedding went off without a hitch. The only thing that disappoints me is that sources like BBC are trying so hard to equate their marriage to straight marriage that it comes off as being a belabored effort. If they just covered it like any other wedding, that would serve to equalize it much more effectively. Anyway, I'm just really happy about that development. Gay marriage will be in American soon. And if it isn't here soon, at least now we can move to Britain!

No comments: