Tuesday, February 27, 2007

It's been a while

It's been a while since I last posted. Much has happened.

Follies in Concert rocked my world. The Coast of Utopia bored me beyond belief (besides for the riveting performance of Jennifer Ehle as Natalie Herzen in part two, entitled Shipwreck, featured at right with Brian F O'Byrne).

King Hedley II at Signature Theatre Company was similarly impressive. It's been a particularly good season for August Wilson, and I've still yet to see Radio Golf, which will be coming soon to the Cort Theatre on Broadway with Tonya Pinkins.

I've been hopelessly addicted to the comforts of Joni Mitchell lately as well. I got a few more of her albums, each of which is growing on me. She's such a wonderful and varied artist.

I've also been to a few poetry readings, and a freelance "family style" rapper rapped to me about heterosexual anal sex ("the pole and the hole") in the middle of Union Square, filling in my name and clothing in order to impress me. It didn't work.


The Follies concert at City Center, featuring Victoria Clark and Victor Garber (older couple shown above), as well as Michael McGrath and Donna Murphy, was absolutely spectacular. The show, with a score by Stephen Sondheim and book by James Goldman, tells the interweaving stories of characters' present and past selves at a reunion for follies girls as their theatre is about to be razed and turned into a parking lot. I hadn't been fully aware of the integration of the device of having characters' older and younger selves playing out scenes concurrently, and I have to say it really rocked my world. Very fascinating and emotionally volatile!
Otherwise, up to my same quick-witted tricks.

No comments: