Tuesday, September 23, 2008

New York theatre...

I'd like to start writing on this blog again. There was a time I wrote it in almost nonstop, but recently I've been much busier. Whilst in London, I was running about like a chicken with its head cut off, flitting from one theatre to the next. Now, in New York, I'm balancing classes with my internship at Roundabout Theatre Company and the steady stream of reviews I've been writing for musicOMH.com (my favorite of my obligations).

No matter, I'm determined that I will post here as often as I can. Because I'll be posting most of my lengthy thoughts about productions on musicOMH.com, I'll refrain from detailed reviews on here. Instead, I'll add little tidbits, recommend little things I've stumbled upon, etc. Most of it will be theatre-related; some of it will not be.

First up, as I was wandering through the BC/EFA Broadway Flea Market this year, I stumbled upon a recording done by Corin Redgrave of Oscar Wilde's De Profundis for $5. I read this book over the summer, an extended letter written by Wilde to his lover Lord Alfred "Bosie" Douglas during his term of imprisonment at Reading Gaol. The recording is wonderful. Also included is the "tea scene" from The Importance of Being Earnest, as performed by Vanessa Redgrave and Lynn Redgrave. I recommend reading the book. While the CD seems not to be readily available online, it's possible to find audio recordings of Corin Redgrave reading the letter, and they ought to be worth checking out. He's also performing the letter at the National Theatre again this autumn.

No comments: