Sunday, October 29, 2006

What a weekend, "subUrbia," "The Voyage of the Carcass."

So this was some weekend.

On Friday night I went to see subUrbia at Second Stage Theatre off-Broadway with my new friend Ryan Frisinger. The show was entertaining enough but not really "great theatre." It was the story of a group of kids who hung around a convenience store and what happens when one of their friends, who's "made it" as a rock star returns to town for a tour stop. The characters were largely unappealing, and the second act just made them even more so than I thought they were originally. Ryan and I had fun going to Starbucks afterwards and talking, and then we walked over to the Apple store in the rain, and he bought a new iPod. It was a lot of fun, and Ryan is a cool person to talk to.

Saturday was the Room 207 Halloween Party. It was fun at first but slowly deteriorated. I was proud of my costume (Judy Garland), which I worked pretty hard on, and it was good to see Christina and Richard again. We didn't get too much of any turnout though besides for Christina, Richard, and Olga.

Today, I went to see a play called The Voyage of the Carcass off-Broadway. The title itself is enough to turn me off to the play, but I went because the ticket was complimentary from Roundabout. The play was just about the most excrutiating thing I've seen in a long, long time. The action begins with an obnoxiously slapstick arctic adventure-themed play-within-a-play, and I was quite thankful to learn that that wasn't the actual point of the entire show later in the first act. Once the backstage story of the actors creating the play began, things got a little bit better. I was soooo, soooo tempted to leave at intermission (as I so rarely am), but I was ready to stick it out through the second act, which was supposed to be shorter than the first. However, due to an injury in the cast, the show was unable to proceed, and I was released back into the happy non-Carcass world guilt-free.

Alas, another week begins shortly. I'm seeing Mary Poppins and The Little Dog Laughed on Broadway this week, both of which I'm very excited for, and then I'm seeing Suddenly Last Summer again next weekend with Austin. Yay!

No comments: