Monday, November 06, 2006

"Breakfast at Tiffany's," "Be Like Joe," "Suddenly Last Summer," weekend

So this was a pretty busy and interesting weekend.

On Friday night, Austin and I had originally been planning to see Borat, but we changed our minds and decided to accompany Jon to a student production at Columbia called Everyone's Different. Unfortunately, we took the wrong subway there (the 2 instead of the 1), and we ended up on the wrong side of Manhattan in Harlem. We missed the show, and we walked around in Harlem briefly, passing the Apollo Theatre, before we decided to head back downtown. By that time, of course, Borat was sold out, so we just hung out.

On Saturday I went to see a show called Be Like Joe that Frank Paiva, a friend of Austin's, was in at the Kraine Theatre on E. 4th Street. It was a surprisingly charming musical about a rock star who has taken a love potion that causes people to never tell him "no" and his clash with a fan who causes him to rethink his situation. After seeing the show, I had no idea what else to do and felt terribly bored, so I walked around SoHo and then sat in Starbucks briefly writing a little bit of a poem. I also had my first latte, which I quite enjoyed.

On Sunday I did several things. First I had breakfast at a place called Mimi's on E. 9th Street with Austin. We had French toast, fruit, and eggs, and it all came out to $4.50 each, which was wonderful. Of course, we had to argue about the price, because she attempted to overcharge us. Then we went to see Suddenly Last Summer. It was my second time and Austin's first. I liked it much more the second time. I think I understood it better, and the acting had also improved since I first saw it, particularly Blythe Danner's. Austin thought it was okay, but he had a few issues with the play and its effect on modern audiences that really made me rethink my own stance on the play. At the very least, I really enjoy the language, and the acting and sets were quite impressive.

Then Sunday night I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time ever after having heard so many things about the movie. I believe it was the first Audrey Hepburn movie I've watched in its entirety, though I've always thought she was quite glamorous looking. It was a very entertaining movie about two people, Holly Golightly and Paul Varjak, both of whom are dependent on others for their livelihoods and fall in love. It had a lot of really fun moments and had a really great 1960s style that I just loved. Now I've got to see some other Audrey Hepburn movies to catch up on what I've discovered I've been missing out on. George Peppard was very dashing and wonderful as Varjak, the perfect leading man for Audrey.

Anyway, I highly recommend the movie to anyone else who's been missing out on Breakfast at Tiffany's thus far in their lives.

No comments: