Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The wait is over -- Superman (and the gays) wear Prada


The wait is over.

Does Superman support the gays, I wonder? He ought to, knowing what it's like to be an outcast among humans and possess superhuman powers. All right, so the gays have the power to coordinate colors faster than a speeding bullet rather than save an entire city block from destruction by stopping a globelike structure from plummeting to the ground, but hey, you take what you can get.

Anyway, tomorrow, the New York State Court of Appeals votes on whether or not to allow gay marriage statewide and to acknowledge marriages recognized in other places (Massachusetts, Canada) -- pretty much what's happening is that a court is deciding, at least in part, a big chunk of my future tomorrow. New York is just about the only state I'd consider living in once I'm fully independent, mostly because the people there are people I can actually believe in, so I'm crossing my fingers and keeping my ears glued to NPR tomorrow at work.

For more information, there's a good article at The New York Times here: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/04/nyregion/04cnd-marriage.html . It looks as if the judges are, for the most part, in support of gay marriage. The struggle will be in finding the legal precendence and justification for the decision. I hope, and I predict, that by tomorrow night, we'll be free -- in part -- at last.

Anyway, this has been a nice long weekend. My birthday was Friday. Saturday I went downtown and bought some nice clothes and saw Friends with Money with Christina and Leah, who also took me for gelato. Sunday I went to see The Devil Wears Prada with my crew, which was a fabulous movie starring the divine Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway. The clothes may have been the focus, but the movie was great nonetheless. Before that I had lunch with my grandparents in honor of my birthday and that of my grandfather, who turned 76. Monday I lazed around, and Tuesday I watched Meet Me in St. Louis with Judy Garland (yay!) and went to see Superman Returns, which couldn't even be saved by its title character. Though it was visually interesting at times, its characters seemed like cardboard cutouts and the film sagged tremendously in the middle and could have used some cuts.

"Better pray for your sins/Better pray for your sins/'Cause the gay messiah's coming" -Rufus Wainwright

Oh how I love that song by none other than Rufus. I'm sorry if it offends anyone, but it shocks for a reason. It's so charged -- is it religious? Political? Well, for me, it says just what it means. Think about what you're doing to us, because one of these days, we'll find our leader and we'll rise up. In a few years, the gay bashers of today will be the sorry racists of the '60s.

Mark a chalk tally on the gay side. 1 (second pending) down, 48 to go for freedom.

NOTE: I know some people had complained about not being able to comment unless they were registered Blogger users, but I changed that option (which I hadn't realized was an option), so comments from all are now welcome.

No comments: