Sunday, July 30, 2006

A few thoughts

So there are several things to comment on today.

I just got done watching Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine in Postcards From the Edge, which was good. It offered a few more chances for Meryl to sing. I'm on a definite Streep kick.

Yesterday was Ally's birthday party (today is her birthday -- yay!), which was quite fun. Plenty of DDR/pizza/random dry erase board drawing/Pictionary/Mao (what a horrible game) to go around. Before hanging out, we saw Lady in the Water, which, though it showed definite originality and promise and was interesting at points, fell pretty flat in the end. Besides for naming things "scrunt" and "narf" (which sound more look street names for drugs than creature types) it was just generally pretty weird and unintentionally funny, as when a young boy interprets omens by staring at cereal boxes. It wasn't terrible, but certainly also not as great as it could have been.

Today, I went to Longwood Gardens, which produced some pretty nice pictures and was quite fun. Pictures are available through my Facebook.

Oh, on another note my "curfew" is now 11:30. Blah. Though I don't even know what kind of punishment can possibly tacked onto violation of this sort of restraint, considering it's not feasible to physically abuse me or to restrict my range of motion to the house or really place much constraint on me (I earn my own money). Anyway, I think it's practically Communist to pin a curfew on someone over the age of 18 simply because you feel guilty going to bed before they come into the house. Oh, New York, how I long for thee. This seriously makes me reconsider any thoughts I had of coming home next summer or spending extensive amounts of time here over winter break. I suppose those are the consequences of a dictatorship upon its ruler, but who wants to be ruled rather than to have a say in his or her own governing -- though I may not rebel within the current circumstances, I don't have to purposefully set myself up to be controlled.

End of rant. On with life.

Oh, and I'm writing a novel. Or fiddling about with an idea. More to come.

No comments: