Saturday, December 09, 2006

"Spring Awakening" CD

So, today, the major task I gave myself was to go to the Eugene O'Neill Theatre today and pick up a copy of the Spring Awakening cast recording, which they're now selling at the theatre in advance of the official store release date of Tuesday, December 12.

So the show is pretty much my current favorite. I'm going for my third time next Friday, and I can't wait. I'll be seeing it from the mezzanine this time, so I'll have seen it from on the stage, in the orchestra, and in the mezzanine. The show opens tomorrow night, so we'll see how the reviews are and if the show takes off or gets any extra buzz.

Anyway, I pretty much couldn't have rushed home any faster after getting my hands on a copy of the CD, and I'm already obsessed. At least now I don't have to spend money just to hear the songs. I also think that the CD is going to spread a sort of grassroots movement for the show, as the music is pretty much the highlight of the overall experience. I think that the CDs for shows like Rent and Wicked made a big difference in getting the word out and filling seats. A CD makes a show accessible to people across the nation. The fact that Spring Awakening has songs like "The Bitch of Living" and "Totally Fucked" and even has a parental advisory notice will probably also help its appeal (even if those aren't necessarily the best songs in the show).

Anyway, what I've noticed from the CD is that, while it's great overall, the flimsiness of some of the lyrics is more obvious when you're not taking the music in along with the visuals and engaged in the moment. It's not a replacement for the live experience by any means, but it's a nice way to tide myself over between visits. And I'm sure it'll also be great for the walks to and from work.

Anyway, go out and get the CD as soon as possible (Tuesday in stores, now at the theatre). I guarantee if there's one theatre CD you must get this year, this is it, and you won't regret buying it. Christmas gifts, anyone? Then go out and see the show for yourself.

Also, on Wednesday, December 13 from 6 till 7:30, the cast and Duncan Sheik will be at the SoHo Apple Store for an in-store performance celebrating the CD release, so be there or be square!

In other news I went to see Merrily We Roll Along by Sondheim and George Furth at Columbia last night, which was a lot of fun. One of my friends from Summer Stage, Claire, played the lead role of Mary, and she was great. It's a show where the plot moves backwards, chronicalling the relationships between three best friends and their lovers. It's such a wonderful show; it manages to be depressing in that you see through the backwards movement of the plot that everyone ends up unhappy, yet that the show ends on a hopeful note with the beautiful song "Our Time." Anyway, Austin loved it too, which really surprised me.

Afterwards we hung out with Christina and Richard. Yay!

Tonight is The Apple Tree with Kristin Chenoweth with Emma, and tomorrow I'm probably going to see Cabaret at NYU. Yay!

No comments: