Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Poem, missing Rufus

So, this post is going to be kind of random. Today I wrote a bit of a poem as sort of an amalgam of thoughts of An Inconvenient Truth and Samuel Beckett; I thought about writing a poem today as a response to the introduction of Donald Hall as the new U.S. poet laureate today. Here it is:

Gone
All gone now, I see –
Vast expanses – blue, blue –
Hanging from this bundle of balloons
I look up
Wonder what if
Pop!
A little lower
Nothing left
I remember green
Green below
Green to my right and left
Leafy and wide and – I forget the word
Word?
And rooted
I remember – and regret
Blue
Water and me
Water and me and then –
And then
As I slip and
Pop
Gone
Nothing left
I remember green and regret and leave
Last the leaves
The last

Tonight is Rufus Wainwright's recreation of Judy Garland's 1961 Carnegie Hall concert, which, sadly I'm not able to see live. Luckily, the audio and video are being recorded for release. Lately, I've been listening to the Judy at Carnegie Hall CD a lot lately, and it's just a great CD -- it makes you so cheerful to listen to it, but at the same time, she's harrowingly haunting to listen to.

No comments: