Saturday, June 03, 2006

It's been a while

Well, it's been a while since I added a post, so I figured I'd write something.

I went to the shore last weekend, which was nice, since I had a long weekend from work. The weather was very nice (not too hot), and it's always nice to get to eat out at restaurants, walk around, etc.

Work has mostly been slow. My boss, Charlie, was out this week, so I didn't really have a whole lot of assigned tasks like I usually do. I read three books this week just at work (Joe Turner's Come and Gone and Ma Rainey's Black Bottom by August Wilson and Night by Elie Wiesel).

Night is a really great book. It didn't really affect me a whole lot for most of the proceedings, but the very end really got to me and made the book as effective as it is. I've been reading more August Wilson lately to prepare for my class in the fall, and I've also been working on a timeline of events within the plays, events in African-American history, and events in August Wilson's life and the performance of his plays.

I also got a new recording of Sunday in the Park with George, a wonderful Sondheim musical. It's the 2006 London recording, and it's absolutely beautiful. The performances are very interesting with some great new accents, and the music is sung just wonderfully. It's definitely worth picking up. The Wedding Singer's cast recording comes out soon, which I'm also excited about.

No comments: