Friday, August 18, 2006

NYC, interview, etc.

So yesterday, I went to New York for the day for an interview with Roundabout Theatre Company for an internship in the finance department. It went really well; the interview was short (5-1o minutes), and the man I'd be working for seemed very nice.

After the interview, I went shopping for a bit and had a nice chicken parm panini at Europa Cafe (a chain of ready-made salad and sandwich shops), which was very good. I went to three H&Ms to shop for some fall clothes. I saw some nice blazers, but I thought I realized a conflict in prices between stores within the chain, so I decided to hold off until I could find out what was going on with that. The current ad campaign for H&M is a partnership with Madonna and the crew of her tour. A number of her dancers and staff chose clothes from the fall line to endorse (they're labeled with tags saying "Madonna and Crew [heart] H&M"), and Madonna created a special track suit. Anyway, the coup de grace were the huge (floor to ceiling -- sometimes in three-floor stores) banners of Madonna's face (similar to the picture to the left) greeting customers. It made me want to shop there for hours. If only they had a continuous Madonna soundtrack. Anyway, I ended up getting a pair of flip-flops (my first -- and they're pretty fun) and a pair of jeans.

Today the best piece of news I could find online was an unusual story out of a California chocolate factory. I originally incorrectly read the title as "Workers discover chocolate Bloody Mary" and ignored it, but when I took a second glance, I realized it read "Workers discover chocolate Virgin Mary." Needless to say, I was intrigued. It turns out one of the workers found that some dripped chocolate under a vat of chocolate had formed a 2-inch tall figure of what they interpret to be the Virgin Mary. Now, what makes the story eerie -- or eerier-- (obviously, the figure, pictured below, looks barely anything like the Virgin Mary -- I think the comparison of the figure to the image on her prayer card is what really makes the viewer train his or her eye to interpret that blob as a woman) is that the "chocolate drippings usually harden in thin, flat strips on wax paper." Well, whatever. I just thought that was funny. Interpret for yourself:

Personally, I think it looks closer to a piece of human excrement.

No comments: