Thursday, August 24, 2006

"SoaP," 3 days, waiting

Okay, so I had no interest in seeing Snakes on a Plane based on all of the hype that had been coming out of the internet and television. It sounded terribly stupid, unentertaining, blah. Despite my vague reluctance, I went to see the film last night, mostly because the review on The New York Times was actually favorable and because Leah seemed unusually psyched about it.

Four words: Best. Worst. Movie. Ever.

Oftentimes, bad movies are boring. They're funny despite the fact that they sag, the acting is painful, the effects laughable. Sometimes references within the movie itself are even incorrect or inconsistent (see The Core with Hilary Swank).

Not so with Snakes. It's an absolutely horrible movie: the lines are unbearably stupid, the snakes are horribly computer generated, the plot is terribly unrealistic (why would mobsters choose to release snakes onto a plane to kill a witness rather than just shoot him?), but, despite all that, it manages to be an absolutely hilarious and fast-paced movie. I was disappointed to find that the rapper aboard the plane was named "Three G's" rather than "Free Cheese," which I thought was the perfect bad movie name.

The actors are ultimately likeable, especially Samuel L. Jackson and Julianna Margulies, and they deliver their lines knowingly, the writers smartly choosing to begin at least several lines with "I can't believe I'm going to say this, but --." What helps the film be a satisfying blockbuster is its pace. It starts with a murder, escalates into a terrifyingly funny plane ride full of snakes, and ends with a surprise as well. I found myself wondering how the next unwitting passenger was going to hilariously die of a snake bite (starting with a couple joining the mile high club and a man urinating innocently). All in all, bad movie perfection. Rush out to see it -- it lives up to the hype. It had Christina, Leah, and me in stitches all through its 100-minute running time.

In other news, there are only three days left until I trek back to New York City. I can't wait to be back in my town. I'm excited for my classes, the theatre season, everything. I've yet to begin packing though, and that feeling is starting to come upon me where I just want to cross that threshold and get my stuff moved up there and settled in.

Also, it's been one week since my interview with Roundabout Theatre Company, and I've yet to hear back from my interviewer, Frank Surdi. I'm starting to worry a little bit about whether I've gotten the job or not, but I'm not giving up hope yet. I'm supposed to get a call either way, I believe, so I guess I may have heard by now if I was definitely not going to get the job. Whichever way it comes out, I'm anxious to know. I want that internship pretty badly, especially since my old boss at NYU Phonathon is switching positions and going back there would mean getting used to a whole new boss. Pleeeeease, Roundabout. I promise I'd be an amazing intern.

No comments: