Sunday, January 28, 2007

Weekend, "Venus"

This weekend, I was sick. I spent most of my time writing my short story for Creative Writing class, which is due the Tuesday after this coming one. In between, I also got plenty of cups of coffee and tea and saw the movie Venus.

On Saturday night, Austin's cute-as-a-button friend Shea came to visit us and watch You've Got Mail, which was, as always, delightful. Oh, newly-sharpened pencils, that movie has 152 insights to my soul.

Venus was a wonderful character study of Maurice, played by Peter O'Toole, and his unlikely friendship with a young woman to whom he bestows the name "Venus," played by Jodie Whittaker. It was definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year, if not the best, and I'm actually quite astonished it was recognized with more Academy Award nominations (it received only one -- for O'Toole). It did a wonderful job portraying an unlikely relationship and imbuing that relationship, as well as the subjects of death and aging, with great dignity. Vanessa Redgrave, Leslie Phillips, and Richard Griffiths also make memorable appearances.

No comments: