Monday, January 08, 2007

Break

So, winter break was nice.

I read some: The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud, which is a wonderful novel about young professionals and socialites in New York City and some various poetry by Ted Hughes, Walt Whitman, Carl Sandburg, and others. It's always nice to have some more time to read again. Breaks are always useful for that purpose.

As far as movies go, I saw Children of Men, Dreamgirls, The Queen, and Charlotte's Web, which I enjoyed in that order (from best to worst), though they were all quite good. Children of Men was extraordinarily unnerving, and I recommend that everyone go see it. It just won't be the same on DVD. Dreamgirls was also spectacularly entertaining, but I guess a lot of people have some odd aversion to musicals and will avoid it for that reason. But they shouldn't! The Queen was a bit slow for my tastes, but Helen Mirren was quite good as Queen Elizabeth.

I fell in love (guiltily) with "Irreplaceable" by Beyonce, and also listened to a good deal more of Joni Mitchell's music.

I also fell in love with the show Ugly Betty, which was recommended to me by Khiem before I left for break, as well as the old Carol Burnett spinoff Mama's Family starring Vicki Lawrence, who's absolutely hilarious.

Overall, I'm glad to be back in New York City, but there will be things and people I'll miss.

No comments: