Thursday, March 30, 2006

Calling parents, Michael John LaChiusa, what's next

So far, this week has been sort of trying. We started calling parents at the Phonathon, and even though we only really called them for an hour and a half, those were some of the most trying minutes of my life. Most parents don't even trust that you're calling from NYU, because, due to confidentiality, we're not allowed to have the names of students' parents.

Other than that, I used some of the paid time off I earned at the Phonathon to take tonight off. I really just don't think I could handle the pressure of calling parents for a full three hours tonight. Instead, I went to Lincoln Center (which seems to be a new favorite spot of mine) to see Michael John LaChiusa speak at the Vivian Beaumont Theatre. It was really interesting to hear him talk, particularly after having seen Bernarda Alba last Wednesday even if I'm not the biggest fan of that show. He talked pretty broadly for the most part about his creative process, which was neat.

Tomorrow (Thursday), I'm seeing The Threepenny Opera at Studio 54 with Alan Cumming, Cyndi Lauper, Ana Gasteyer, Jim Dale, and Nellie McKay. I'm pretty damn excited! Brecht seems pretty cool, though I'm not to familiar with his work. He believes in the alienation effect, where the audience is to always be aware that they are watching actors perform the work.

Friday, I'm going to dinner.

Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments: