Sunday, March 26, 2006

"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels," Jam Today

So, today was a fun day.

At 3, I went to go see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, which was really great. It managed to be both classy and crass at the same time and was also really funny. The cast, particularly Norbert Leo Butz, Jonathan Pryce, Rachel York, and Mylinda Hull, was really great (Jonathan, Rachel, and Norbert are shown at left in that order).

I was familiar with the score beforehand, but I didn't really like it that much. There were a few standout songs, but some of the lyrics weren't as well-crafted as I'd like. Luckily, the score and the performances came together well on stage.

The design of the show was also really good, with stylized palm trees demonstrating the French Riveria setting and evocative lighting that really set the mood well. Overall a great show that continues to prove how unfair it was that "Spamalot" took home the Best Musical Tony last year.

After the show, I found out that Jam Today, the book of poetry that Shayne Terry from my Great Poems class put together of poems written by members of the class, was finally delivered to her dorm. I got the first copy, and I give it my seal of approval. The poems of mine that are included may not be the ones that I would choose, but the editors did a good job. I'll post info about how to get copies of Jam Today once I know more.

I wrote a new poem today that I'm quite fond of as well that's based on some recent observations, so I'll include that below:

Navigating homeward
Carrying your tuba
Newspaper
Like you could blow
Pushing your stroller
Suitcase
As if you could know
The man sitting across
Diagonal
Eyes down
Hands in lap

On the street a man blowing balloons
And twisting balloons to shape the world
And blowing smoke
A twisted grin and something
Unintended to his audience

Below a man
Beady eyes
A girl across
Fiery and young
Eight
He leers
Peekaboo
Speaks to her
“You got a boyfriend?”
Spits on the floor
Again
Again
She turns and hugs her mother
Smile on her face
Warm
Not thinking as I do

--

Next up on my Broadway schedule is The Threepenny Opera on Thursday, which I'm quite excited for!

No comments: