Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Final Broadway Report, My Top Ten List

Now it's time for my top ten list of the Broadway and off-Broadway shows I've seen that have opened during the 2005-2006 season. There've been a lot of great shows, so it's hard for me to narrow them down, but I have a pretty definitive list now:

1. The History Boys - What, a play is Ricky's number one show this year? Huh? I thought he was the gay who loved musicals more than anyone in the world! Yeah, well, this play moved me like no other show this year play or musical. Excellent acting all around and an expertly crafted play.
2. The Drowsy Chaperone - In a season where a good number of the musicals opening were subpar (or were reviewed as subpar, as I didn't waste my money on all of them -- Ring of Fire, Hot Feet, etc.), this was the best of the new shows. It's not high art by any means. Its message really is one of pure escapism, but it's great fun with particularly great performances by Sutton Foster and Bob Martin.
3. The Lieutenant of Inishmore - Well, this is certainly the bloodiest play I've ever seen. At no other time have I laughed so hard in the face of simulated death, and I think that earns this play this number three spot. In a season where I attempted to start acclimating myself with straight drama, this play was a welcome 101 course.
4. Sweeney Todd - Being a lover of Sondheim, I awaited this production eagerly and it lived up to all of the hype. The fact that all of the actors also expertly interpret the score on-stage with instruments only heightens the suspense and pure genius of the piece. Patti LuPone and Michael Cerveris are genius as well and shouldn't be missed if anyone has thought of skipping this show!
5. See What I Wanna See - I'm a recent convert to the camp of Michael John LaChiusa, and this was definitely a great season to familiarize myself with his work, what with this show at the Public and Bernarda Alba at the Newhouse Theatre at Lincoln Center. Anyway, this was one of the most thought-provoking shows I saw this year, and I applaud LaChiusa for taking on three separate stories in one musical that all come together to make a relatively cohesive work. His music is genius as well, and it's nice to know there's still a proponent for live musicians in live theatre as well!
6. Jersey Boys - I went into this show not knowing what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. While I still don't think that Broadway is the right place for this show (think Vegas instead), it was still well-crafted and swiftly and incisively directed by Des McAnuff. It's also a star-making vehicle for John Lloyd Young who plays the meatiest role of Frankie Valli with verve and pipes of gold.
7. The Color Purple - This show was just so delightfully life-affirming! I loved the story based on the Steven Spielberg movie and the musical was a really great adaptation. It has a lot of story to fit into the time given, but it does an effective enough job. LaChanze, Felicia P. Fields, and Elisabeth Withers-Mendes are standouts, and the score also has a great pop/gospel-influenced feel.
8. Two Gentlemen of Verona - I discovered this show on disc because of the fact that Galt MacDermot, the composer of Hair, also did the score for the show with John Guare. It's also a relatively little-known show for having won the Best Musical Tony. It has a great bubbly score and the production in Central Park really highlighted the pure fun of the show with a particularly wonderful performance from Norm Lewis as Valentine.
9. The Threepenny Opera - Fine, it's been critized by Brecht purists who don't feel it really lives up to the original intent of Brecht and Weill, but I loved it! It was decadent fun, and the performances of Jim Dale, Ana Gasteyer, Alan Cumming, Nellie McKay, and Cyndi Lauper were great all around. It's a great piece for hipper audiences and this production gives the show a contemporary feel, but it also somehow feels nostalgic, and I very much liked the contrast.
10. Red Light Winter -Another great straight play. Adam Rapp has a way with contemporary dialogue, and this play also was a great showcase for three young actors. Definitely a worthwhile night off-Broadway.

Pure fun runner-up: Lennon - I recognize it had its flaws, particularly in its book, and that it was a jukebox musical, but I had such a great time at the show in the rush seats, and the performers were so sublime singing the John Lennon songs that I really think the show deserves a mention.

My final Broadway/off-Broadway Report is as follows:

This season, I've seen:

1. Two Gentlemen of Verona Tuesday, August 30, 2005
2. Lennon Saturday, September 3, 2005
3. Sweet Charity Sunday, September 4, 2005
4. Lennon Saturday, September 17, 2005
5. Blue Man Group Sunday, September 18, 2005
6. Lennon Saturday, September 24, 2005
7. Fiddler on the Roof Thursday, September 29, 2005
8. The Light in the Piazza Sunday, October 2, 2005
9. Doubt Thursday, October 6, 2005
10. Sweeney Todd Thursday, October 13, 2005
11. Sweeney Todd Saturday, October 29, 2005
12. See What I Wanna See Saturday, November 5, 2005
13. The Light in the Piazza Sunday, November 13, 2005
14. The Woman in White Sunday, November 20, 2005
15. The Color Purple Wednesday, January 18, 2006
16. Spamalot Thursday, February 9, 2006
17. Chita Rivera: The Dancer's Life Saturday, February 18, 2006
18. Red Light Winter Saturday, February 25, 2006
19. Bernarda Alba Wednesday, March 22, 2006
20. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Sunday, March 26, 2006
21. The Threepenny Opera Thursday, March 30, 2006
22. The Wedding Singer Wednesday, April 5, 2006
23. The Drowsy Chaperone Saturday, April 8, 2006
24. Lestat Thursday, April 20, 2006
25. The Lieutenant of Inishmore Saturday, April 22, 2006
26. The History Boys Saturday, April 29, 2006
27. Jersey Boys Thursday, May 4

I've seen 27 Broadway and off-Broadway performances this year.

Those in blue are on Broadway.
Those in red are off-Broadway.
Plays are in bold.
All others are musicals.
Blue Man Group is a special theatrical event.

Statistics/Facts:
-The average price paid was $23.67.
-Two Gentlemen of Verona, Blue Man Group, and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels cost me nothing.
-One performance each of The Light in the Piazza and Sweeney Todd cost $10.
-The highest price paid was for Sweeney Todd at $41.
-The most common price paid was $26.25.
-The average amount of days between performances seen is 9.3
-20/27 performances were of shows that opened during this season.

No comments: