Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Last required shift of work, Liza

So tonight was my last required shift at work despite the fact that I may do a few more anyway just for the money. I'm going with Emma to attempt to see The Pajama Game on Broadway with Harry Connick, Jr. and Kelli O'Hara on Wednesday night. Today has been a really lazy day.

Anyway, I've been on YouTube quite a bit lately, and I found quite a few entertaining Liza Minnelli videos that I thought I'd share. Check a few out to get a sense of my obssession. Certainly, she's not always to be taken seriously.

1. Liza singing "It's Just a Matter of Time" -- this clip goes to show you just why Liza became a star. This is her singing at the London Palladium. Her mother, Judy Garland, introduces.


2. Liza singing a silly song about alcohol on Asian TV.


3. Liza singing "City Lights" from Kander and Ebb's The Act on the Tony Awards.


4. Liza's descent into insanity, a late '80s music video of her crazy song "Don't Drop Bombs."


5. Liza butchering Sondheim by creating a disco version of "Losing My Mind" from Follies with the Pet Shop Boys. Oy vey! This is from Arsenio.


6. Liza singing "Bad Girls" in 1980. Kind of bad, but also kind of good.


7. Spliced clips from Liza's latest appearance on Larry King. Oh my.


For all of her triumphs, winning an Oscar, Emmy, and Tony Award for Cabaret, Liza With a "Z," and Flora the Red Menace respectively, Liza sure has had some lows, but, ultimately, it's the lows and the highs combined that make for such a fabulous Liza. Even her mistakes make for such wonderful look back on her roller coaster of a life. I guess I just wish she hadn't screwed with Sondheim along the way.

No comments: