Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Anthony Rapp

So, yesterday after class I went to buy Rent on DVD, because Circuit City in Union Square had it on sale for $15, which is about the cheapest price there is. I also got Closer while I was there for under $10. I then rushed back to my room to get a response done that was due at 5 that I had forgotten about until around 2. Anyway, once I got that out of the way and ate dinner, I had perhaps the longest night in a long, long time It didn't even go on that late, but the sheer amount of waiting I did took its toll on me.

I went to a signing of Anthony Rapp's new book Without You: A Memoir of Love, Loss, and the Musical RENT. He had done a signing at Hayden a few weeks back that I didn't go to because of work, so I went to this public signing instead, which was probably a bad idea simply considering the amount of people that came to this signing. I got to the Chelsea Barnes and Noble around 6:15, because the event started around 7 and just waited around for the time to pass. He started reading promptly at 7 and then answere a lot of questions and then began signing at 8. All during when he was talking, I couldn't see him at all, because there was a small section of people in chairs who had virtually camped out waiting for him and then the crowd stretched on throughout the CD racks of the music section. Anyway, it was about 9:40 when I got my book signed and got a picture taken. I was really hesitant at first to even stay for the signing considering the vast amount of people, but I ended up reading a pretty good portion of the book while I waited, which is quite good.

On another note, the people at the signing were quite insane. Let me just tell you: I hate fangirls. As soon as he arrived for the signing, the girls were screaming and going insane. Then, while waiting to reach the signing table, a gaggle of girls behind me started singing Wicked songs that were starting to drive me nuts. People -- leave it to the professionals unless you're alone or in the shower.

Anyway, from the bookstore, I wandered around a bit, went to the ATM, and bought a Snapple and candy because I was so parched. I got to the Cutting Room, where Anthony was doing a concert with his band Albinokid, around 10. Anyway, the doors were supposed to open at 10:30, but they opened more around 11:30. They played for about 35 minutes and then I went home.

His band his quite incredible, and that part of the evening was worth sitting through the torture of the book signing. The fans who were at the concert were, for the most part, not crazy fangirlies luckily. He sung a cover of a Radiohead song and mostly original songs. The last song he did was a really amazing cover of "Seasons of Love" from Rent, which was probably my favorite rendition of that song ever, perhaps because it was exciting hearing it with a bit more edge than the usual arrangements.

One thing I have to say is this: America has no etiquette. When you go to a signing event, the rule should be that you bring only the item advertised to be signed and get that item signed. If you simply cannot follow that, you should really only bring one other item. Similarly, you should take one picture and take it quickly. And if it turns out poorly, you should just move on and not think on it. Too many people were holding up the line forever by being selfish about getting things signed -- insanity!

Anyway...

Here are some clips from "Seasons of Love" as sung by Anthony and Albinokid. Sorry I didn't record the whole song, but my camera only does 30 second clips and I didn't have my iPod recorder.

Clip 1 - "525,600 minutes / How do you measure, measure a year? / In daylights, in sunsets / In midnights, in cups of coffee / In inches, in miles/ In laughter, in strife / In 525, 600 minutes / How do you mea--" (AnthonySOL1.wav)
Clip 2 - "How about love? / How about love? / How about love? / Measure in love / Seasons of love / Sea--" (AnthonySOLChorus.wav)
Clip 3 - "Love / 525,600 minutes / 525,000 journeys to plan / 525, 600 minutes / How do you measure the life of a woman or a man / In truths that she learned / Or in--" (AnthonySOL2.wav)
Clip 4 - "--cried / In bridges he burned / Or the way that she died (out of tune) / It's time now to sing out / Though the story never ends / Let's celebrate, remember a year in the life of friends / Remember the love / Remember the love / Remember the --" (AnthonySOLBridge.wav)
Clip 5 - "Love / Seasons of love / Seasons of love / [Guitar break]" (AnthonySOL3.wav)


Enjoy!

No comments: