Wednesday, February 15, 2006

"Something New."

So, today was an all right day. It was one of my long days with four classes, and I was pretty tired all day because it was hard for me to sleep last night. It wasn't even because I had anything specific on my mind (because that sometimes does that to me). I guess I just think too much about sleeping. In European Drama, a guy from the Central School of Speech and Drama in London came to talk to us. He had some really interesting things to say about some various theatre productions, including Guantanimo and Stuff Happens, as well as an interesting production he helped his students create called Lulu, where a converted warehouse was used as an interactive theatre space, where androgynous performers shocked the audiences. It sounded really cool.

I decided to call out of work today, because I was pretty exhausted, so I took a 2.5-hour nap. After dinner, I went to see Something New at the Regal at Union Square so David could have a bit of alone time with his friend Bryan. I had originally intended to see Nanny McPhee, but I figured a romantic comedy might give me a bit more impetus to change my status as a single man. I'm not sure that it worked that well, but oh well.

Anyway, the movie was pretty good. It was by no means one of my favorite movies, but it was okay. The main reason I'd write about it here though is just to mention how much I absolutely hate audiences both at shows and movies. Good grief! This girl in the row I was sitting in actually checked her voicemail during the movie (listened to messages that were audible). She also text messaged someone with the sounds on her phone sounding loudly with each letter. It pisses me off even more at live theatre, where you're paying more.

I have a desire right now to do something interesting. I either need a boy or I need to write something or I need to do something, anything big. I guess I'm just sort of in a rut: school, work, sleep, school, work, sleep. Of course, there are a lot of interesting events interspersed, but nothing significant. Ricky, get off your ass and do something!

Tomorrow is another day.

No comments: