Sunday, February 12, 2006

"Transamerica," snow

So, tonight David had a friend over, so I gave them some alone time to hang out, watch a movie, etc. by going to see Transamerica at AMC Empire 25 in Times Square, which has to be one of the most massive movie theatres in America. You have to go up about five flights to get to your theatre in some cases.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting very much in particular of the movie. I really like Felicity Huffman, and her performance has been so lauded that I figured it had to be good, so I went into the theatre with a very open mind.

It ended up being one of the most excellent movies I've seen in quite some time. Both leads, Felicity Huffman and Kevin Zegers give amazing performances, supported excellently by a terrifically funny (in a sad way) performance by Fionnula Flanagan as Bree's (Huffman) mother.

The story revolves around a pre-op (for most of the movie) transsexual who, on the even of her sexual reassignment surgery, discovers she has a son. The movie follows their journey across America from New York City to Los Angeles. It's in parts hysterically funny and at others tragic, but it is always human. I couldn't help but relate to Bree when she says, "I wish they would look at me just once and see me. Really see me." Bree's journey is, at least in part, like everyone's journey.

Anyway, it's up there with Match Point and Brokeback Mountain as one of my favorites of this Oscar season. It's definitely highly recommended.

By the time the movie was over, the streets were totally covered in snow. It was quite beautiful, but also more than a little wet and uncomfortable. I took a good picture, but it was taken on my camera's internal memory, so, since my computer doesn't have my camera's software correctly installed, I can't upload it. Ah, well. Perhaps tomorrow I'll get some good snow-related pictures.

No comments: