Saturday, February 04, 2006

Sarah Kane, "Spamalot"

So, today I woke up around 11, much earlier than yesterday (4PM). I had a really nice brunch of French toast, bacon, and sausage and then went to the library to take another shot at learning how to navigate its neverending shelves. Anyway, since the book I was looking for, The Complete Plays of Sarah Kane was on reserve for my class, I was able to take it out for two hours (enough time to read it) and then leave. I had to read Blasted and 4.48 Psychosis from that book, and both of them were quite sexual. In Blasted, there is masturbation, oral sex, heterosexual rape, homosexual rape...the list goes on. It was an interesting play, and the characters were engaging, but I'm getting tired of reading plays with so much sex in them. 4.48 Psychosis was a pretty incoherent play about depression and the motives behind suicide. There was no delineation of characters, and the piece is usually produced with three actors. There are random strings of numbers and words strewn throughout. I enjoyed some parts, particular the listing of the patient's medicines and their effects on the patient, but overall it was a bit too "out there" for me.

Anyway, after that, I had dinner at Upstein with Jaron, John Frederickson, David, and Josh.

I'm seeing Spamalot on Thursday, which I'm quite excited about.

Anthony Rapp is coming to Hayden on Monday, and, if the books are free, I may be going. If not, I'll probably go to his signing later in the month at the Barnes and Noble in Chelsea.

No comments: