Tuesday, January 17, 2006

First day of classes/work

So...today was the first day of class. I must admit I was slightly frightened. It's always weird starting all new classes, and I'm not a very big fan of those games you have to play (even in college!!) to introduce yourself. Fortunately, there were none of those games today, though we did go around in two of my classes and introduce ourselves. I suppose I'll go through class by class and give a few little observations.

World Cultures: Chinese and Japanese Traditions

Well, the teacher is quite old and wise. He knows quite a bit about Chinese idioms and interesting things like that. We found out what our first reading was, and he read us part of it. It seems quite interesting. I really like the Asian style of prose with its intriguing descriptions. My teacher also said that there would be no written papers!! Yay!

Intermediate German I

My teacher for this, whose name is Amir (one word, like Madonna), seems nice and looks like Jeff Goldblum. He said that essentially if we went to class and filled out all of the tests that we'd get at least a B. That seems like a fair deal to me.

Contemporary Central European Drama

So...this class is sooooooooo weird. It's my hypothesis that all of the guys in the class are gay, which is quite interesting. The teacher is quite interesting, and a lot of the course material seems quite intriguing: lesbian performance art, a woman who got plastic surgery to look like Mona Lisa and videotaped it as a statement, along with a lot of more conventional plays. It was interesting to hear people's opinions of Aristotlean (I'm probably misspelling that) drama (a la current Broadway plays).

Natural Science II: Brain and Behavior

This class seemed all right. It's not a subject that intrigues me or anything, but the teacher seemed lively, at least better than my QR professor last semester.

Anyway, tomorrow I have two early classes and then an entirely free day. I'll probably read my World Cultures book, The Tale of Kieu. Then, I have another full day on Thursday. Friday should be interesting. I'm seeing Good Morning America early in the morning (a live taping). That evening I'm going to a signing by Farnoosh Moshiri, who wrote a new book that I bought to read soon called Against Gravity. I haven't read it yet, so I can't comment, but it looks intriguing, and I wanted to hear her speak about it so I can get a little context (and a signature). This weekend, I'll probably also see a Broadway show, though I haven't decided which yet.

No comments: