Monday, January 30, 2006

Naomi's New(est) Morning

Anyway, today, after dissecting a sheep's brain in Brain and Behavior lab, I returned to Naomi's New Morning at 105 E. 106th Street. I had been there yesterday, and the audience coordinator, Samantha, called me to come in yet again today from 12-4.

Overall, it was a much smoother experience. Naomi was more on-the-ball and able to get through things quickly. The main guests were Catherine Hicks from Seventh Heaven and Diana DeGarmo from American Idol. Both of them were amusing, and Diana DeGarmo sung the hell out of a so-so song called "Emotional." I always enjoyed her on American Idol and was glad to see that she's become very professional.

The main theme of the show was money, and a crucial feature of the show was that several audience members were supposed to ask questions of Naomi's life coach. Anyway, I was initially selected as one of the audience members to pose a financial question, and my question was going to be about student debt, but it ended up that Naomi wanted a different question to be asked, so I quietly relinquished my spot. Anyway, one of these days I'm going to be featured on Naomi! I think it's a new goal of mine to keep going to the show until I'm on it.

Also, I found out that the show tapes only once a month. Considering it's a weekly show, that makes sense. They do all of the shows in one weekend and then get together monthly. I'm probably going to get called up to do the next round of shows, so I'm actually relatively excited. Today was a much more positive experience -- I brought water and candy and was prepared for the long amount of sitting.

Also, Samantha Green, the audience coordinator told a really interesting story about her sister-in-law's being accused of stealing money from her mother and their seeing a traditional Jamaican obeah-woman (psychic) to solve the problem while on vacation in Jamaica.

Also, I got a free book that there's 99% chance I'll never read by the financial advisor on the show. It's called The Financial Wisdom of Ebenezer Scrooge. On the show, the guy kept on making these weird comments about Scrooge and about how Cratchett shouldn't have been spending so much money on Christmas dinner when his son has a terminal illness. It was freaky.

Naomi also gave me a look and thanked me really briefly for showing up again. She's starting to grow on me. She's definitely not a great personality, but she's still nice. Of course, today she sort of made some stupid comments about sexuality and how that's a topic one shouldn't even discuss. In other contexts, she supports homosexuals. She's kind of flip-floppy and discreet about the issue. Her show overall avoids any topics with too much controversy.

Anyway, that was my day! I'm off to work soon. Tomorrow's another day.

No comments: