Friday, January 27, 2006

Work and more

Well, the past few days have been pretty nice overall. The environment at work has been pretty calm, because the Phonathon is a transition phase where it's looking to hire a lot of new employees, so there aren't a whole lot of people still working there from last semester. I've been doing pretty wall as far as pledges overall.

On Wednesday, I got really good sushi with Ally at this place that had an offer for $1 a la carte sushi, so I got egg omelette, tuna, shrimp, octopus, and salmon. I'm a pretty big fan of sushi, so it was good to get some good quality sushi for a change rather than the grocery store variety. The restaurant was really nice as well, and the iced green tea was very pretty to look at. Anyway, Ally and I (particularly me) are very bad at eating sushi. Neither of us like wasabi, and this place included a little bit of it underneath the sushi on top of the rice that is placed beneath it. Also, the octopus that I got was extremely unnerving! I didn't really figure it would actually look like part of an octopus, but it turned out to be an actual portion of tentatcle, and the suckers were still there. It was really chewy and tough and overall unpleasant. Besides for that, the rest of the sushi was amazing.

Yesterday was just plain busy; I had class and worked, and that was just about it. I didn't feel too good in the morning, but I felt better as the day went on. I think it actually may have been the sushi.

Today, I woke up pretty early to attempt to go to a taping of The View, which I thought was having Angela Lansbury and Emma Thompson today. Anyway, when I got to the studio, I found out that they weren't taping a show today, so I went to Tower Records at Lincoln Center, which is just about the most splendid record/DVD store I've ever seen, and I bought Arrested Development seasons 1 and 2. I'd never seen the show before, so I took a gamble, but those were $35 together, and I used part of my gift card, so I thought it was worth the gamble. I had read a lot of really positive feedback about the show, so I had been meaning to give it a try. Plus, Liza has a guest role in some of the episodes as Lucille (#2). It's a pretty funny show, though it takes some time to get used to the format. It's shot with a single camera, so it has a documentary-style feel to it. It reminds me a little bit of Christopher Guest movies (Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman, A Mighty Wind). There were so many tempting things at Tower, but I always like buying TV shows on DVD, because you can watch them over and over again because of the short duration of the episodes. It's also nice, because you get a much larger running time for only slightly more money. When I buy a season of a TV show, it's usually only about twice or three times as much as one DVD, and it usually includes upwards of 15 hours of material.

Also, I finished knitting my first scarf on Wednesday night, and during the day on Wednesday, I went back to Purl Yarn on Sullivan Street and bought supplies for my latest scarf project. I'm knitting one with robin's egg blue and grass green colors now, and the knitting work is looking pretty good right now. Despite the fact that I made a lot of errors on my first scarf, I still really like it, and I got it to look quite nice with some interesting tassles that I added. I also signed up for an LGBT knitting circle through the LGBT office at NYU, so I'll be going to that next Thursday. By being one of the first to preregister for that, I won free needles and yarn, so I'm anxious to see what color/colors the yarn is. I think it's about time I got out of my room and did something vaguely social, so a knitting circle seems like a tame way to do that.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm most likely taking my broken television to be fixed. Other than that, I'll be doing some homework and unwinding.

Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments: