Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Busy day, SONDHEIM

The new Sweeney Todd CD signed by the cast, including Patti LuPone (topmost left) and Michael Cerveris (topmost left), and also Stephen Sondheim (middle top!):

So, I had four classes today and then went to work. Blah blah blah. It was the same old thing I do most days.

Then, around 9 PM, I went up to the Eugene O'Neill Theatre on W. 49th Street to the signing of the new Sweeney Todd Broadway cast recording. I waited from about 9:30 with Jaron and Josh Barajas from my floor, and we finally got in pretty close to 11. We were back by about 11:30. Anyway, I stood in the presence of my favorite human being, Stephen Sondheim, and I told him I liked his work. He thanked me, and I moved along, but it was still quite extraordinary. He seemed to be tired of signing, but it was nice of him to do it. For the most part, the signing was ran methodically. The CDs were passed on down the table and picked up at the end, so talking to the people wasn't too strongly encouraged. I told the people who play Anthony and Johanna that they were good, and I talked to Laura Molina (Johanna) for a second about how I like that she plays Johanna as a flawed, fully human character rather than the coquettish, prissy character that she can be made to be.

Anyway...what a night! I love the new recording, by the way. The pared-down orchestrations make it feel even creepier!

No comments: