Wednesday, January 25, 2006

"Last Holiday" and more

Last night I rescheduled my shift at work and went to see Last Holiday with Queen Latifah at the Loews on 3rd Avenue. It was a pretty good movie. Obviously, it was pretty predictable considering it would be a pretty bad movie if she actually died in the end, but it was entertaining, and all I really wanted from the movie was a few laughs. It definitely delivered at least that.

Yesterday, I finally got my copy of the The Color Purple cast recording. It's pretty damn amazing if I say so myself. Between Dessa Rose and The Color Purple, these past few weeks have been amazing for cast recordings. Both of them are so good that they really don't even have a single track that has to be skipped because I can't stand it. Not coincidentally, LaChanze stars on both CDs. She's quickly becoming one of my favorite Broadway performers. I really wish I had had the chance to see Dessa Rose last spring at Lincoln Center. I had really wanted to, but it just wasn't too practical at that time for me to take the journey.

Today, I've been listening to a really great podcast that I became acquainted with a month or so ago called The Entertainment Beat with Frances Gumm. Frances Gumm is Judy Garland's birth name, and the show imagines what it would be like if Judy were alive today grappling with today's culture. It's a really imaginative show, and it has some absolutely amazing performances of Sondheim songs. In the last episode I listened to, she did a surprisingly entertaining performance of "Don't Tell Me" by Madonna. I definitely suggest people check it out. Even if you're not really familiar with Judy, it would still be entertaining.

Anyway, I'm probably getting sushi a bit later, then doing some homework, perhaps buying yarn for my next project (this scarf is almost finished), and watching some TV on DVD. Tata!

EDIT: I just got a call from the audience coordinator for Good Morning America, and I'm going to see Naomi Judd's morning show on Sunday. It's a show on the Hallmark channel where she espouses her down home tips and tricks -- in other words, sounds pretty hideous. I hope it will at least be bad in a funny way.

No comments: