Wednesday, September 27, 2006

An art project, "The Two and Only," etc.

So, I've been pretty busy lately between class and work and homework, though I do have some new things to report.

On Monday at midnight, I went to get the new Scissor Sisters album, Ta-Dah at Virgin Megastore with Austin, which, I'm pleased to say, is wonderful. I'll probably return to the subject of Ta-Dah and Elton John's newest CD, The Captain and the Kid in an upcoming post, as I'd like to highlight these two new discs that I love so much.

Yesterday was just an all-around busy day with not a whole lot to report besides for the fact that I saw Laura Bennett from Project Runway on the street with her husband and three of her children. The episode tonight was almost unbearably nerve-wracking, but I'm glad that the four finalists will each get to show collections at Fashion Week (well, they already have technically, since Fashion Week is over, but I'm glad that was the result).

Today, I saw a funny group of theatre performers in Washington Square Park between my classes. At first I thought they were a fundamentalist religious theatre group, because there was a pretty beefy moralistic speech, but I soon realized it was an adaptation of Faust. They were a very slapstick, crazy bunch scurrying about and playing with zany little noisemakers. I'm not sure many other parkgoers knew what to make of them either, but it was interesting to see them (pictured at left).

After class today, I decided to be bold and get together a craft project for my dorm room. The sorest visual part of our room is this crazy light fixture in the common room that looks like it belongs in a prison. My creative vision being as spectacular as it is, I constructed a foam board sconce, and Austin and I created tissue paper "stained glass" collages to put in the panes. It looks wonderful and adds a new feel to the room:


Between beginning the new light fixture and finishing it, I went with Austin to see Jay Johnson: The Two and Only on Broadway (he's the ventriloquist from Soap). I got the tickets for free by signing up at Roundabout, and I was very apprehensive about going. The man simply looks crazy on the poster, and ventriloquism isn't exactly on the top of my list of most entertaining subjects for a one-man show on Broadway. Anyway, it ended up being quite good and even touching at some moments, especially when he took a more serious tone and reminisced about his early days and his experiences with his mentor. It was very funny and also very shticky, but a lot of the jokes managed to be very funny. It seemed like something my dad would've gone berserk over. Overall, an entertaining night at the theatre.

Until next time...

No comments: