Monday, September 11, 2006

"La Boheme"

So, today I woke up relatively late and went to see La Boheme at New York City Opera with Christina and Richard. I was quite excited to see my first opera, but I ended up not liking it quite as much as I had expected. Especially after having just seen Seven Guitars, it just didn't hold up at all dramatically. The characterization within the plot is paper thin and a lot of the discourse seems pretty repetitive. It wasn't bad, and the third act was particularly interesting, but I think I just prefer straight plays and musicals.

I got my tickets to see The Coast of Utopia at Lincoln Center Theatre this morning. It's a three-part epic (consisting of Voyage, Shipwreck, and Salvage) by Tom Stoppard that requires an audience member to purchase three tickets in order to take in the entire experience. Thanks to their StudenTix program, of which I'm a member, this was actually affordable. Additionally, I got tickets for all three parts in the orchestra of the Vivien Beaumont Theatre. The three parts are playing in repertory, so I decided to spread out the dates I chose rather than seeing them on a "marathon" day, which includes 8 hours of theatre spread out with 2.5 hour breaks between.

I don't know a whole lot about the show, but it's written by Tom Stoppard, directed by Jack O'Brien, and starring Tony nominee Billy Crudup (Broadway's The Pillowman and movies Almost Famous, Big Fish, Stage Beauty), Tony-winner Richard Easton, Tony-winner Jennifer Ehle (BBC's Pride and Prejudice, Possession, Wilde), Josh Hamilton, Tony nominee David Harbour, Jason Butler Harner, Ethan Hawke (Before Sunrise and Before Sunset), Amy Irving, Tony-winner Brian F. O'Byrne, and Martha Plimpton. I'm excited.

That's all for now. The school week begins again.

No comments: