Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Ruben Santiago-Hudson, "The Captain and the Kid"

First, I wanted to say that the photo of the Brooklyn Bridge in the post below is not mine. It comes from AllPosters.com, and, though I tried to give credit to the photographer, none was listed.

Anyway, a few interesting things have been going on.

First of all, last night at midnight David and I went to purchase the brand new Elton John album at Virgin Megastore called The Captain and the Kid. It's a great CD and totally worth a serious listen. Elton has definitely made a return to form with Songs From the West Coast and this CD (and also, to a lesser extent, Peachtree Road). My favorite song is "Old 67," a bluesy song of remembrance, though all of them are great.

Also, last night at midnight I got an email from my August Wilson class professors that the director of the current Signature Theatre production of Seven Guitars, Ruben Santiago-Hudson, would be visiting our class today. Granted, there are times when I wonder just what it is that distinguishes NYU from other institutions of higher learning, but it's days like today, when a Tony Award-winning actor/director is standing a few feet away from you reading lines from Wilson plays and recounting stories of their collaborations, that remind me just how great NYU and its connections are. It was an excellent class, and I think he's going to come back again at some point to talk to us again, which is very exciting.

Overall, it was a nice day. At work, I also found out that I'll probably be able to continue to work at Roundabout through the spring semester, so yay! It's a really fun job, and I think that means I'll get to see all eight Roundabout productions this year!

No comments: