Thursday, September 07, 2006

Plenty is going on! Second day of classes, Kate Bornstein, first day of work

So, for my second day of classes, I had Foundations of Journalism and Natural Science I: Einstein's Universe. Journalism totally freaked me out, because the teacher, Brooke Kroeger, seems very strict. She gave us assigned seats based on our sections and then went into giivng a very stern lecture about her stringent expectations and grading policies. It seems like an interesting enough class, but I just hope that I'm able to survive the writing assignments and all.


Einstein's Universe seems like a good class overall. I managed to actually be interested in what Professor Adler was talking about during the first class. Plus, he's a very funny guy with a very amusing dry wit. It's not exactly the class that appeals to me most, but I'm sure that it'll be fine overall. Ally did recommend it to me, and I generally just her judgment of classes.


Kate Bornstein

After my second day of classes, I went to an LGBT Welcome Back event that the LGBT Center was holding. I generally don't go to a lot of gay events (the last thing being Rainbow Knitting last year and the David Smith excursion to the Guggenheim). Anyway, David suggested I go, and it ended up being a lot of fun. There was this radical, polyamorous, transsexual, etc., etc. person named Kate Bornstein, who was extremely interesting. Though I didn't necessarily agree with everything she said, she was a great motivational speaker, and she has a lot of positivity to put out into a world that can seem so cold at time to outsiders.

TONY TONY TONY TONY

Today was my first day of work at the Roundabout Theatre Company as a finance intern. I saw real live Tony Awards today on the artistic director's shelves!! It was magical. For most of the day, I sorted through some old files of invoices, and it was fine. As an extra special perk, I also get a free pair of tickets to each of the productions that open during my time as an intern and the privilege to attend the opening night parties! That is really cool. Plus, the job seems generally nice. The office is pleasant, and the people all seem friendly.



In other news, I got my ticket for the New York City Center Encores production of Follies, which has a brilliant score by Stephen Sondheim full of glorious pastiche and character songs. For a good amount of time it was my favorite Sondheim score, though a good number of his scores assume that position at some point or another. Victoria Clark will be starring as Sally, which is extremely exciting, and though the rest of the cast and crew have yet to be announced, I'm sure it will be an evening to remember. Plus, my ticket, though it's not very close to the stage (rear gallery center first row), was only $25.

No comments: