Monday, April 17, 2006

Broadway Report 2005-06 (early edition)

So, later in this post, I'll give my Broadway report for this year. Before that, I'll just remind myself that I really need to formally declare my Dramatic Literature major tomorrow so I can properly schedule my classes on Thursday.

Tomorrow, besides for having classes and having to declare that major, I want to go uptown to get tickets for The Lieutenant of Inishmore, which I'm seeing with Emma on Saturday, and The History Boys, which I'm seeing later in the month. I'm making an effort to see the two big plays of the season so I have some familiarity with plays when the Tony Awards roll along. I think I'm going to decisively skip Tarzan this spring. I don't predict it'll make a big dent at the Tonys considering the buzz surrounding the production, and I'm sure it'll be around in the fall if I have a real urge to see it. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to skip Three Days of Rain with Julia Roberts, because it doesn't seem like that play is living up to its hype. I'm seeing Lestat this Thursday, which is supposed to be horrible. I, for one, have been looking forward to seeing this show for quite some time, so I'm hoping it's not as bad as many have said. I think I'll probably treat myself to The Pajama Game in early May as my last show of the season, because I finally found a feasible, affordable way to see it, but we'll have to see if that works out.

Anyway, my Broadway report is as follows:

This season, I've seen:
SHOW DATE
1. Two Gentlemen of Verona Tuesday, August 30, 2005
2. Lennon Saturday, September 3, 2005
3. Sweet Charity Sunday, September 4, 2005
4. Lennon Saturday, September 17, 2005
5. Blue Man Group Sunday, September 18, 2005
6. Lennon Saturday, September 24, 2005
7. Fiddler on the Roof Thursday, September 29, 2005
8. The Light in the Piazza Sunday, October 2, 2005
9. Doubt Thursday, October 6, 2005
10. Sweeney Todd Thursday, October 13, 2005
11. Sweeney Todd Saturday, October 29, 2005
12. See What I Wanna See Saturday, November 5, 2005
13. The Light in the Piazza Sunday, November 13, 2005
14. The Woman in White Sunday, November 20, 2005
15. The Color Purple Wednesday, January 18, 2006
16. Spamalot Thursday, February 9, 2006
17. Chita Rivera: The Dancer's Life Saturday, February 18, 2006
18. Red Light Winter Saturday, February 25, 2006
19. Bernarda Alba Wednesday, March 22, 2006
20. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Sunday, March 26, 2006
21. The Threepenny Opera Thursday, March 30, 2006
22. The Wedding Singer Wednesday, April 5, 2006
23. The Drowsy Chaperone Saturday, April 8, 2006
24. Lestat Thursday, April 20, 2006
25. The Lieutenant of Inishmore Saturday, April 22, 2006
26. The History Boys Saturday, April 29, 2006
27. The Pajama Game(?) [forthcoming?]

So, if all goes as planned, I'll have seen at least 27 Broadway and off-Broadway performances this year, which I think is pretty impressive.

Those in blue are on Broadway.
Those in red are off-Broadway.
Plays are in bold. All others are musicals. Blue Man Group is a special theatrical event.

Statistics/Facts:
-The projected average admission paid is $24.31.
-Two Gentlemen of Verona, Blue Man Group, and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels cost me nothing.
-One performance each of The Light in the Piazza and Sweeney Todd cost $10.
-The highest price paid will have been for The Pajama Game, if I see that, at $43.
-The most common price paid was $26.25.
-The average amount of days between performances seen is approximately 10 (considering the period between Two Gentlemen of Verona and The Drowsy Chaperone).
-20/27 performances were of shows that opened during this season.

Anyway, it's not time yet for me to have a "top 10" list or Tony nomination/award predictions, but those will be forthcoming. For now, I just wanted to tally up the shows I've seen so far this year.

Next season is already looking exciting, with revivals planned of A Chorus Line, Company, and The Wiz, as well as a new David Hare play opening with Julianne Moore.

No comments: