Monday, April 10, 2006

"The Drowsy Chaperone," sickness

On Saturday, I went to see The Drowsy Chaperone on Broadway at the Marquis Theatre. I was definitely expecting the show to be one of the best of the season, and it lived up to my expectations. It's the only musical this season to open with absolutely no source material -- the musical was actually written as a wedding gift for the star of the show, Bob Martin, who also helped to write the book of the show.

It was a generally delightful show. The premise of the show is that a man who loves musical theatre recounts for the audience the plot of his favorite 1920s musical, The Drowsy Chaperone, which is essentially a wacky wedding hijinx. Bob Martin was great as "Man in Chair," and Sutton Foster (of Thoroughly Modern Millie and The Little Women on Broadway) was also absolutely amazing as the bride, Janet Van De Graaff -- particularly with her showstopping number, "Show Off."

Anyway, if I had to choose a winner for Best Musical from what I've seen this season, this would probably be it, though I also very much enjoyed The Color Purple. It's a great tongue-in-cheek show that places musical theatre on a pedestal and pokes fun with reverence.

I had originally intended to do standing room for Three Days of Rain with Julia Roberts on Sunday, but I woke up feeling quite sick, a feeling that's lasted through today. Anyway, I'm feeling slightly better, and I'm predicting I'll be back to work tomorrow (I called out tonight). I'm just feeling generally unpleasant. Send good wishes my way.

No comments: