Monday, April 17, 2006

"Friends With Money," a weekend at home, pondering life

Well, on Thursday night, I set out with my Regal movie passes and went to see "Friends With Money," a nice movie with Jennifer Aniston, Catherine Keener, Joan Cusack, and Frances McDormand. It was a very dialogue-driven movie, but it was also very satisfying. I'm becoming quite the fan of Catherine Keener's work. I look forward to what she does next. I also love Jennifer Aniston, especially in this and The Good Girl (we'll forget about Along Came Polly).

Anyway, after the movie, I was feeling particularly contemplative. Whenever I see a movie or a show alone, I always get a little pang saying that I should have a man. Sometimes it's subtle. Sometimes I just shrug it off and remind myself that I like having a lot of "me time," which I really do. The fact is that, "me time" considered, I still spend far too much time alone.

I decided to go for a walk, so I just headed uptown without a destination in mind, just observing little things as I went along -- a conversation or two, the faces of some people in a store window, etc. Walks are one of the greatest comforts I have -- they get you out of your room and remind you that you're not alone, and that the city is full of people, strangers or not. Anyway, I eventually made it up to 50th Street, where I stopped in a Starbucks to get an iced green tea and a snickerdoodle and just sit for a bit, which is a nice feeling. I listened to some people near me talking about their business trip too, which was kind of fun. Then I headed back downtown, getting home around 1. I have to say it was a really nice walk overall, and it served to clear my head. One of the things I'm going to miss so much about New York when I'm spending the summer at home will be being able to set out on a journey at any time of the day or night.

I went home on Friday afternoon and spent some time with my friends Friday night, which was fun as usual. Christina, Richard, and I fooled Ashley with the game of Snaps, which was extraordinarily amazing. The sad thing is that we ended up telling her how it's done, so then we had no one else to fool.

On Saturday I had Easter lunch with my parents, uncle, and grandparents at this weird family restaurant where they played really tinny computerish renditions of nostalgic music in the background. Afterwards, we went back go my grandparents' new house and talked, and my grandmother told me I should marry Christina. Oh, if only she knew.

After lunch, my parents and I went to Bryn Mawr, where we saw Thank You For Smoking. It was my second time seeing it, and I fell asleep during parts, but I really like that movie. After the movie, I hung out with Christina, Richard, and Ashley at Christina's house. We talked about this book that they had called The Guide to Getting it On, which was fun. I think it's funny how much people talk about sex and how little of it most of them actually get. I think there's some statistic where men think of sex every ten seconds or something. Anyway, it was a pretty interesting book. Besides for being slightly gross, it also had some interesting (historical) tidbits in it.

After I got home, I started watching Good Night, and Good Luck, which I finished watching tonight. I quite liked that movie, despite the fact that I thought it could've been better and that it had a really abrubpt ending that kind of detracted from the rest of the film. The only of the Best Picture nominees I haven't seen now is Munich.

Today, I had lunch with my parents at Bertucci's before heading back to New York. I left Philadelphia around 5 and got in around 8ish. I pretty much laid low and watched Before Sunset, which I bought at Hollywood Video before coming back to NYC. It's one of my favorite movies, the sequel to Before Sunrise (I much prefer Sunset though both are great).

Anyway, I'm just going to miss New York so much this summer. Blah.

No comments: