Wednesday, April 05, 2006

DVDs, room selection

So, today and yesterday were pretty hectic days for me. I had quite a few classes, and, yesterday I had to go to Seventh Street to make my room selection for next year.

Anyway, the dorm is really close to St. Mark's Place, which is pretty cool, as there are a lot of nifty little places to eat and shop there. I really like the feel of the East Village -- it's really eclectic and interesting to walk around. My dorm building only has two floors for students who aren't working for housing, so I'm in room 207A -- a two bedroom suite with two people per bedroom. I have no idea who my roommate is yet, but I saw the two guys who picked the other bedroom in my suite, and they didn't seem too wild. Hopefully everything will be fine. As a gay guy I sort of worry, just because I don't want some crazy bigot or scary jock/frat guy as a roommate, but those people are pretty rare at NYU anyway, so I really don't have much to worry about.

Today, I went a little crazy and bought both Liza with a "Z" and Brokeback Mountain on DVD, both of which I watched today. Particularly because of Liza's glittery rainbow packaging, I have to say today was probably one of the "gayest" days in my DVD-purchasing history. Liza with a "Z" is quite spectacular, and Liza herself is one of the most interesting (though certainly odd) personalities alive today. The feature on the DVD is her 55-minute concert for television filmed in front of a live audience at the Lyceum Theatre on Broadway by legendary director/choreographer Bob Fosse (Cabaret on film, Chicago on stage). Despite Liza's descent into tabloid territory, the DVD shows why Liza gets the attention that she still does -- she's a star. As for Brokeback, it just gets me every time. I can see a little bit of myself in those characters, and it's just one of the saddest films because it hits so close to home for me.

Anyway, I also had work tonight and last night, which went pretty well. Casey put me on my usual lybunts last night, knowing how horribly I did on parents my first night, but I ended up doing quite well with parents tonight when Mike set me up in them. Parents are getting slightly easier for me to call as I become a little less awkward. I'm surprised by how willing parents are to contribute even more money than they have to pay for tuition.

So tomorrow night is The Wedding Singer on Broadway with Stephen Lynch and Laura Benanti. I'm not really all that excited, as I haven't seen but a few minutes of the movie and don't know what to expect. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll make sure, as always, to post my reactions here.

No comments: