Sunday, April 23, 2006

Touring colleges (with Jenna), "The Lieutenant of Inishmore," party time

So, on Friday, I went with Jenna and her dad, who came up for the day, to visit Marymount Manhattan and NYU. I had visited Marymount previously, and they didn't really like that school overall. They seemed to like NYU well enough, but the idea that, if you don't get into Tisch due to an audition you can't really go to NYU at all, seems a bit unreasonable. It was fun seeing Jenna again, and we got to catch up a bit. It also just so happened that our tour guide for the NYU tour was my orientation leader from the summer, Rob Byrne, so we also got to catch up a bit. We meant to go to lunch today (Sunday) as well, but he overslept, so we rescheduled for Tuesday.

I had to work Friday night because I had to call out twice for sickness last week, but the shift went pretty well (as most shifts have been going lately).

On Saturday, I worked for most of the day on some German work for the last week of class. On Saturday night, I went to see The Lieutenant of Inishmore on Broadway with Emma. We had made tentative plans twice in the past to see shows, but this time it finally worked out. I didn't really know much about the show going into it, so I hoped for both of our sakes that it would be great.

Thankfully, it was one of the best shows I've seen this year. I'm used to seeing musicals for the most part, and this is only the third play I've seen in New York (Doubt and Red Light Winter are the others), but it was definitely my favorite. It's a very violent play, but it manages to make the audience laugh even through the most gruesome of situations. The acting was uniformly great (Jeff Binder and David Wilmot are pictured at left, photo by Monique Carboni). As soon as we'd left, Emma was saying how much she wanted to see it again, so, needless to say, I'm glad I made a good pick for what play to see. Next weekend, I'm seeing The History Boys, so we'll see how that play is as well.

After I got back from the play, I realized Christina had called me a few times, so I called her back, and it ended up that she and her boyfriend Richard were at a party next door to me (32 Washington Square West) for one of Christina's floormates, Enrica. The party's theme was supposed to be transvestitism, but generally it seemed like the girls were dressed as men dressed as women and, though Richard took the theme seriously, the other guys didn't really. I found out about the party at the last minute, but I still agreed to wear a slip for a short portion of the party. Anyway, it was a pretty great party overall.

Today was supposed to be my lunch with Rob, but instead I did some reading for European Drama that was actually pretty imperative. I had work as well, and my boss was in a surprisingly jovial mood. The time pretty much flew by, as most of the records that we called were really picked over, and not too many prospects answered.

Now it's time to focus on the last week of classes and my first final, which is on Thursday for World Cultures.

No comments: