Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Class, midterm, training, Swoopes

Well, I had German at 11, which was business as usual. My teacher said today that she will continue to teach us even if a grad student strike actually ends up happening, because she values the fact that we pay so much for school. I think that's really great of her, considering that that means a great deal of compromise on her part.

I had my Great Poems midterm today. It was slightly more challenging than I thought it would be, but it was also certainly not impossible. We had a substitute today named Mark Bibbins, who is an award-winning gay poet. He seemed really neat and down to earth, but he also seemed very knowledgeable about poetry. Apparently, he works aside my professor, David Lehman, at the New School graduate program.

Writing the Essay was fine today besides for the fact that I sort of forgot to do my reading for today. It was slightly painful to attempt to gain a grasp on the work in the few minutes when we weren't discussing it. And, of course, just when we get to the essay all about homosexuality, that's the week that I forget to read. It seemed to be a good essay. My homework for that class is insane; it's all over the place. We also have to visit the Met again for another assignment. Ugh. Does he not realize we have busy schedules? It's just lucky I can probably find a day to do this.

Today was my third day of training for the NYU Phonathon. It seems like a pretty stressful job, but I think I have a relatively good handle on the tasks at hand. Of course, Mike, my boss, said that the majority of calls made don't actually even involve speaking with anyone, so that sort of comforts me. I hope I actually receive a pledge within a reasonable amount of time.

So, tonight I found out on the New York Times website that Sheryl Swoopes of the WNBA came out of the closet as being gay. Yay! Now, the other side of the story is that she's in a relationship with a woman who was her coach for a long time. Geez...why do people always come out of the closet in coincidence with some sort of scandal? Just like Jim McGreevey. Ah, well. I'm still happy she came out. She's the first African-American professional basketball player to do so.

No comments: