Friday, October 07, 2005

"Doubt" on Broadway; I'm going home.

So, tonight I saw Doubt by John Patrick Shanley on Broadway. Ally had really wanted to see it, and Dave had read it and liked it, so we were both curious to see how good it would be. Now, we had planned to take the subway and have ample time, but there was a subway scare today, so we wanted to take a cab. Of course, after trying and trying to get a cab, we ultimately failed and ended up walking the whole way. We got there, sweaty and tired, about ten minutes before the show. We were originally going to attempt to get student rush tickets, but they were sold out, so we ended up with tickets in the last row of the balcony, which only had two rows and was a tier up from the mezzanine).

Anyway, the show was absolutely amazing. I went in expecting to like it, being that the play won the Tonys for Best Play, Best Director, Best Actress, and Best Featured Actress (and all of the acting winners were still in the play). The lead actor, Brian F. O'Byrne also won a Tony for Best Actor last year for another play, Frozen. So, I knew there was talent in the show, but not to what extent. Anyway, the play totally blew me away. I didn't realize a Broadway production without music could be so interesting. Cherry Jones, the leading actress, was absolutely amazing. She had a way of bringing such subtle undertones to her character, and when she really exploded, she sent chills down my spine. The show is about a child molestation accusation within the Catholic Church during the 1960s, and I was really glad that the play chose a really interesting way to tell the story without being trite like any old child molestation case ripped from the headlines. It wasn't like a Lifetime movie or anything, thank God. This was my favorite line of Cherry Jones's:

"I will step outside the church if that's what needs to be done, though the door should shut behind me. I will do what needs to be done, Father, if that means I am damned to Hell. Now, you should understand that or you mistake me."

I also have one of my more interesting theatre stories to tell. Anyway, the two guys sitting in front of Ally and I in the theatre kept on talking during the first scene of the play, so I shhed them. So, finally, this girl sitting next to them turned back to me and asked me what was wrong and I made a symbol like "they're talking," so anyway, she explained that the one guy was translating the play for the other one. So I felt sort of torn: do I feel bad for this guy who also wants to understand the play or do I acknowledge the fact that, no matter what the guy's situation, it's rude to talk during the play? Anyway, they stopped translating, and I felt pretty bad. So at the end of the show, Ally offered to pay for the ticket for the guy who didn't get to hear the show, but he wouldn't take the money. I felt really awkard, because I should've been the one to offer to pay if either of us would, but I also didn't totally feel like it was appropriate to have to pay for his seat when I felt he was in the wrong. I feel sort of bad for the guy. He wasn't being all that disruptive, but I was pretty distracted. It's as if you're in a movie and the two people immediately in front of you (and, being so high up, you have to look down through the people to see the play) are whispering. Oy...what a situation.

Anyway, tomorrow, I'm going home. David's boyfriend is coming up, so I'm giving them alone time. Plus, I miss my family, and I get to see our new couch and the new PT Cruiser that they bought and my grandparents. Tomorrow, I'm also beginning my job search process before I leave. It sucks that I'm so afraid to take the subway that I'll have to take a cab. Bleh. I'll survive, I suppose.

No comments: