Sunday, October 16, 2005

"Crossing Brooklyn Ferry," downtown adventures, and a walk in the park

Well, today I woke up around 12:30 determined to complete my Great Poems assignment of reading Walt Whitman's "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry" and taking the Staten Island Ferry round trip. So, I took the subway and ended up at the World Trade Center, which is a short walk from the ferry, but I had no idea how to get there -- thank goodness for maps. The ferry was very long and boring. It takes about 25 minutes each way, and there was a delay on the way back due to a memorial service involving Mayor Bloomberg. Anyway, when the ride was over, I decided I'd like to walk back, so I walked as far as Canal St., stopped to buy two bootleg DVDs (Corpse Bride and Crash, both of which are of poor quality) and then proceeded to walk in the opposite direction of Washington Square until I was almost back downtown as far as the World Trade Center. After this, I walked back up to Canal St. and took the A/C/E or whatever it is back to West 4th and made it back to my dorm just in time to eat in the Hayden dining hall. Needless to say, it was a tiring day.

I got back to my room around 7:30 or 8 and took a nap until around 11. I woke up and went online to talk to several facebook acquaintances, and one of them, Len Shaffer, asked me to go with him and his friend for a little walk. So, I met him at the fountain in Washington Square Park around 2 AM in the cold, and we chatted and walked and sat and talked for a while. He and his friend seemed very nice. It was really nice to get out and do something social after a day of being on my own for almost the whole day (my Poems teacher recommended we go on the ferry alone).

Anyway, it was a long, tiring, yet ultimately satisfying day. Tomorrow will probaby involve quite a bit of homework, as I'd rather not be stuck with as much work as I usually am on Tuesday.

No comments: